Monday, April 12, 2010

Quick and Easy Dinner

So sometimes I find myself scrambling at 6 or 7 after Bruce gets home from work to feed us!  I forgot to go food shopping because I was in a writing frenzy or I had a plan that got swept aside formating data tables.  So one night I tossed some of Ina Garten's Lentil Sausage soup (recipe to follow) in a pan out of the freezer, slapped some cheese in bread and set out to make a salad, but the thought of mixed greens AGAIN made my stomach turn. So I skipped the greens, kept the veggies, and slopped some dressing in a bowl.  It turned out to be a pretty hearty dinner (on one of those crappy rainy nights). Bruce ended up skipping the soup and having a huge salad but here's what I had.  The cucumber I just peel strips off and slice!

Barefoot Contessa : Lentil Sausage Soup
1 Pound green lentils
0.25 Cups olive oil
3 Big onions
2 Leeks
2 Cloves Garlic
salt, pepper, thyme, cumin
8 Stalks Celery
6 Carrots
3 Quarts Chicken Stock
0.25 Tomatoe Pates
1 pound Keilbasa
Splash Red Wine

Cook the lentils and drain.  Saute the onions, garlic, leeks, with the spices.  Once the veggies are tender add the carrots and celery, cook until tender.  Add the stock, tomato past and lentils, simmer for an hour.  Adjust seasoning add kielbasa and wine until the sausage is heated through. (kielbasa is smoked so you aren't cooking it just warming it up). Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some parmasan cheese, and a grilled cheese sandwich and dippers!

No comments:

Post a Comment