Thursday, August 26, 2010

Canning Adventure: Part 1

Before I left on my hiatus, I took advantage of my new stove and my pressure canned that I had yet to use.  If you'll remember back to the winter when I had the grand idea to can my own chicken stock, bought all the supplies, including a pressure canner, then realized that I couldn't use on our old and busted stove.

A quick review of the steps to create stock.
Step 1: Eat the protien.
For chicken stock I use the bones from a whole chicken or save the tips from chicken wings and roast them.
For shrimp stock I save the shells.
For veggie stock, you would save the trimmings from veggies.
For beef stock you need beef bones.
Step 2: Bring to a boil and simmer for hours, with aromatics.
Aromatics such as celery, carrots, onions, garlic, herbs, etc.
Step 3: Strain
I use a colander for the big pieces.
Then cheesecloth for the smaller pieces. I use an elastic to keep the cheesecloth on the top of a pitcher, this way I know how much stock I have and its easy to pour back into the pot. (The dish is to catch the drips)
Check back later for the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment