Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall Garland

I saw somewhere on pinterest a fall garland of gourds and twine.  I had a few coupons to Michael's so I used them to pick up some fake gourds and hemp.
The hemp was not as thick as I wanted it to be so I decided to braid it.  I unrolled a lot, then draped it across the mantle.  Once I was happy with the length I cut three of them.  I tied a knot in one end and put a large safety pin through it and used the safety pin to hold it to the couch.
 Then I braided.  I hate this couch.  We need new furniture.
 Once I was finished braiding I used scotch tape to hold the ends together.  This not only served to hold it all together but it also gave it some strength which I would need to thread the gourds onto the twine.
I used a drill bit which I thought would be the same thickness of the twine and drilled holes through all the gourds, not all the same or right through the middle.  I strung them onto the twine using a knot on either side to keep them in place.  
This currently is the only fall decoration we have up.  There's a whole box in the basement of decorations just haven't gotten to it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment